MHE has engaged with the local community since the inception of the project in 2008.
Consultation has included small neighbourhood meetings, individual home visits and community meetings.
As with other wind development projects, the FRWF will bring widespread benefits to the Great Southern Region in particular to the surrounding towns of Kojonup, Tambellup, Broomehill and Katanning, through direct and indirect employment, skills training and tourism.
The FRWF will produce clean, emissions free electricity to Western Australians via the South West Interconnected System (SWIS) operated by Western Power.
Flat Rocks Wind Farm SG I & SG II will:
- Provide clean, renewable energy for 90,000 homes
- Annually save 451,000T greenhouse gas – equivalent to removing 93,000 cars off the road
- Create up to 200 jobs during construction
- Inject $130M into the local community – $30M construction/$5M operating
- Create 10-15 permanent jobs – operating and maintenance
- Diversify economic base of Great Southern Region
- Compatible with agriculture – as takes up 1% of land after construction
- Establish Sustainable Community Fund
Flat Rocks Wind Farm FAQ (477 KB)